Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Christmas Guest



Tonight is the night. They will be here soon. You have invited guests over for dinner. Lots to prepare for. It’s part of being a good host, right? No guest is going to feel welcome in a dirty bathroom with no towels. Dirty dishes in the sink, dusty furniture, clutter on the couch, and clothes in the living room will not fly. Taking a look in the front yard might be in order as well. A fresh mow on the grass, some weed clearing, and getting the kid’s toys picked up off the driveway might be in order. But it doesn’t stop there. A good host usually will be ready to serve-up something a little tastier than Sunday evening eggs and toast. You might even make sure the “good plates” are out and you use silverware that matches. Five minutes before you will hear the knock on the door, you will want to lecture the kids to be on their best behavior. Why all the hassle? Because you know that everything reflects on the host.

If you haven’t had guests over recently, think again. Every Sunday morning at BridgePointe we are hosts. According to the Bible, “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.”(2 Corinthians 5:20) We represent Jesus every Sunday morning to those outside of our spiritual family. How we prepare for guests at BridgePointe reflects on Jesus himself. 

In anticipating our guests’ needs, we ask intentional questions:

  • Is the web site fresh and easy to navigate to information pertaining to guests?
  • Is parking adequate?
  • Do the outdoor and indoor signs clearly point the way?
  • Are guests greeted with a warm welcome?
  • Are the children’s programs and parents given our best attention?
  • Are the bathrooms clean and the facilities and decor inviting?
  • Do we acknowledge and appreciate guests from the stage?
  • Do we translate spiritual truth in relevant ways to for those unfamiliar with church?
  • Is our quality in our program presentation equal to the importance of our faith?
  • Are people led to an opportunity to say “yes” to God’s grace for the first time?
  • Is information easily assessable?
  • Is there a path towards “next steps” in drawing close to God?

But you’re the true host as well! Are these traits true of you as an ambassador? 

  • I fervently pray for God to open doors and hearts to share my faith.
  • I invite people to church in ways that are natural to me. 
  • I am authentically “real” in my dress and personality without acting religious.  
  • I come to church on time so I can introduce myself to people sitting around me.
  • If I volunteer on Sunday, I give all attendees my best attention.
  •        I volunteer on Sunday to effectively serve people when it’s most needed. 
  • I worship passionately believing that Jesus is the best way to live and the only way to die.
  • I refrain from judging others on Sunday who dress and look different than myself.
  • I don’t assume that everyone I meet is a Christian.
As ambassadors of Jesus, our readiness can make an eternal difference for an unchurched guest. I’m excited to meet your guests this holiday season as we begin a new series this Sunday, designed just for them, called “A Christmas Conversation”. Make sure they are invited to our Christmas Eve Services as well. 

I hear the knock at the door. They’re here!


No comments: